SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for a Grounds Supervisor for SMG/Denny Sanford PREMIER Center. Responsible for supervising Operations staff as well as maintaining the grounds of the Sioux Falls Arena, Convention Center, Denny Sanford PREMIER Center and Orpheum Theater and the surrounding complex.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Plans and coordinates landscape program projects, e.g. planting, spraying, fertilizing, mulching, watering, transplanting, lawn care and maintenance.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates grounds maintenance and equipment operating staff; ensures the safe and productive use of equipment utilized in grounds maintenance and associated repair work; trains and directs subordinates in the use, care and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Interprets job assignments to staff under charge and assigns duties to crews of varying sizes and skills; establishes and adjusts work procedures to meet schedules.
- Requisitions materials and supplies for projects and coordinates the efficient use of workers, resources and equipment.
- Independently plans and coordinates ground maintenance projects at multiple sites; analyzes and resolves work problems, and assists workers in solving problems.
- Maintains current knowledge of correct pesticide and hazardous materials used in ground maintenance.
- Ensures proper training of staff in chemical application and usage procedures, as well as records maintenance to comply with applicable regulatory standards.
- Monitors productivity and work flow of crews under charge; ensures adherence to established deadlines and preventive maintenance schedules.
- Inspects custodial grounds maintenance tasks, e.g., edging, mowing, trimming waste removal, fertilizing, placing sod, raking, planting, snow and ice removal.
- Inspects maintenance and repairs on irrigation systems, structures, facilities, equipment and grounds.
- Responds to emergency situations in order to confine, resolve or prevent injurious or otherwise hazardous conditions, i.e. fallen debris, spills, ice and snow removal.
- Ensures that all job assignments are completed during events or shifts.
- Inspects completed work for conformance to standards.
- Submits maintenance request orders for repairs and damages.
- Requisitions tools, equipment, and supplies.
- Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations ensuring a safe environment for patrons on the grounds of the facility.
- Maintain safety inspection logs on equipment, vehicles, parking lots and exterior lighting systems.
- Keeps equipment in good working order while following safety procedures.
- Operates turf maintenance equipment in a safe manner to include but not limited to mowers, utility carts, and tractors, pickups with snow plows, skid steers and hand tools.
- Performs a variety of manual tasks which may include any combination of the following: mowing, trimming, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, and raking and snow/ice removal.
- Performs activities of workers supervised as needed.
Manages employees in the Operations Department. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED; supplemented by three (3) years’ experience in grounds maintenance, to include one (1) year within a lead position with prior supervisory experience required, and the ability to perform labor intensive work within difficult environmental conditions; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Good organizational, oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with little supervision
- Ability to work irregular hours, shifts that include nights, graveyard shift, weekends and holidays
- Ability to handle and control powered equipment and to perform minor maintenance on same
- Knowledge of proper uses of a variety of maintenance tools and equipment.
- Ability to understand, follow and provide written and oral instructions; ability to read and write English; ability to perform basic arithmetic.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment, e.g. computer terminals, printers, copy machines, telephone systems, facsimile machines.
- Ability to access, operate and maintain various software applications; ability to read, update and maintain various records and files.
- Thorough knowledge of practices and procedures of various skilled trades in the area of assignment.
- Through knowledge of various chemical agents; ability to use such in accordance with prescribed safety precautions and directions.
- Ability to operate various automobiles and transport vehicles, e.g., car, utility truck, utility van.
- Ability to operate basic tools and grounds keeping equipment, e.g., hammer, screw driver, wrench, saw, lawn mower, edge, chainsaw, leaf blower.
- Ability to withstand exposure to dusty, mold, fiberglass and various chemicals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in operating a computer including functions of Microsoft office.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must possess (or be willing to acquire) and maintain a state of South Dakota Commercial Applicator Pesticide Certification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Applications that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 605-367-7288.